<< Go Back
Benefits of Muslim Fasting
Benefits of Muslim Fasting
Benefits Of Muslim Fasting - Presentation Transcript
- God says what means:
O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint.(Quran 2:18)
Contraray to what most people think that fasting is mere abstaining from food, drink and sex along with all the ways that lead to sin, There is, however, a greater significance to fasts. The real objective of
fasts is to inculcate in man the spirit of abstinence verse quoted at the top of this presentation
- from sins and of cultivation of virtue. Thus the Qur'an declares that the fasts have been prescribed with a view to developing piety in man, as is clear from the
These are the facets of piety sought to be cultivated through the fasts
The prime goal in undertaking fast, as in any act of devotion, is to seek NEARNESS TO GOD and beseech
HIS PLEASURE and FORGIVENESS. This itself generates
a spirit of piety in man.
- Fasting makes the Muslim feels the infinite bounties
of God and thus inculcates in man a spirit of Gratitude and consequent Devotion to God.
The pangs of hunger and discomfort makes conscious
of the less fortunate Muslims who may have to put up with such stringent conditions all though their lives, this results in expanding our charitable deeds not only in Ramdan but through the year.
Fasting makes the Muslim ready to the changes of life, from riches to poverty, from affluence to the scarcity of food.
- Fasting develops COURAGE, FORTITUDE and a FIGHTING SPIRIT IN man to surmount the heavy odds in life with a cool and tranquil mind. Many bad habit are found easy to be left during the days of fasting.
Fasting develops COURAGE, FORTITUDE and a FIGHTING SPIRIT IN man to surmount the heavy odds in life with a cool and tranquil mind. Many bad habit are found easy
to be left during the days of fasting.
Fasting is meant to CONQUER ANGER, not to augment it, and to develop SELF CONTROL in man; for the vigorous effort of willfully putting up with a continued state of hunger and thirst can well be extended to conquer other infirmities of human character that lead man into error and sin.
- Fasting inculcates a spirit of tolerance and forgiveness
in man to face unpleasant conditions and situations without making his fellow-being the victim of his wrath.
Fasting MELLOWS a man and enhances his character, giving jolt to the human instincts of 'PRIDE, HAUGHTINESS, ENVY and AMBITION, for when fasting, a man's energies are too sapped to follow these instincts which are the chief causes of discord and conflict among men.
Fasting weakens the sense of hateful pride and envy, the sense of these bad qualities and energies are sapped because of its close connection with these instincts which are weakened during fasting.
- Fasting develops a sense of meekness submission and humility before God which bring much goodness to the human soul, this affects the man's social relations with the others.
One of the major goals of fasting is atoning for sin, this breaths into a Muslim the spirit of forgiveness towards the other subordinates of God thus enhancing the a beautiful spiritual atmosphere.
Fasting habituates a Muslim to punctuality through strict adherence to various time schedule in the observance of fasts and of offering prayers.
- Since the reward of fasting can't be given unless the end of Ramdanzakat is paid and since fasting develops the consciousness of the suffering of the one who fasts, fasting is considered to be a cure for many of social ills.
Fasting provides LEISURE, that could he gainfully employed in devotional or intellectual pursuits. The month long duration of fasts creates a proper climate
for the SPIRITUAL REFORMATION in man, infusing in him a spirit of enthusiasm and zest to turn over a new leaf an opportunity provided every year.
- On the physical side, fasting cleanses the human system of the accumulated impurities of uninterrupted eating throughout the year. It prepares the body for toughness and hardihood to face disease or conditions of scarcity. The rigid abstinence that the fast provides, regulates man's HEALTH, sharpens has INTELLECT, gives spurt to his SPIRITUALLY and enhances the qualities of his HEART. With the cleansing of the human body, it paves the way for its easy and effective rebuilding through meals at the end of the day or after the month is over.
- Fasting in the eyes of Doctors
A Swiss physician Dr. Barsilus noted that: The advantages of hunger as a remedy exceed those
ingesting medicine several times.
several physicians advise patients to skip meals, sometimes for a few days, before prescribing them
a controlled diet.
Prophet Muhammad says:
hunger brings health
- Fasting hastens the destruction of the decaying tissues of the body by means of hunger, and then builds new tissues through nutrition. This is why some scientists suggest that fasting should be regarded as an effective means of restoring youthfulness and longevity.
- The physiological effect of fasting includes lowering of blood sugar
lowering of cholesterol
lowering of the systolic blood pressure.
- Ramadan fasting would be an ideal recommendation for the treatment of mild to moderate, stable, non-insulin diabetes, obesity,
and essential hypertension
- "Fasting brings a wholesome physiological rest for the digestive tract and central nervous system and normalizes metabolism."
fasting can improve or even cure diseases such as :
cardiovascular and circulatory diseases, diseases of digestive system,
diseases of the locomotor system including rheumatism,
respiratory system diseases including asthma, and the early stage of malignant diseases like cancer.
- Fasting can cure all mucus diseases such as colds, flu, asthma, hay fever, sinus and bronchial troubles are rapidly dissolved andeliminated from the body, leaving the user free from the varied allergies which cause difficult breathing and clogging of the sinus cavities….
- Fasting can be used to normalize our weight. As our common sense says, weight reduction is achieved by fasting, along with other health benefits. There are many diet programs using an unbalanced diet that can be dangerous for our health. Fasting is a natural way to normalize our body weight.
- Fasting dissolves all unnecessary and unnatural fat deposits all over the body and the body is relieved of a tremendous burden. The deposits of the unnecessary materials weakens the body.
- Surprisingly enough, fasting programs can be used for underweight people who cannot gain weight even if they stuff themselves with many fattening foods. The cause of both overweight and underweight is a nutritionally unbalanced diet.
- As metabolism is improved through fasting,
the body recuperates the capability to assimilate proteins, fats, carbohydrates, starches, sugars, minerals, vitamins and all other essential nutrients necessary because all organs work properly after fasting.
- The human body uses the skin as a secondary eliminative organ. Because conditions such as boils, abscesses, carbuncles, and pimples are the body’s effort to eliminate poisons, skin problems also disappear as the rest of the body is cleansed (Burroughs, 1976).
- Fasting gives rest to the stomach, intestines and colon and are enabled to repair damaged
Piles, proctitis, colitis, appendicitis, enteritis, enteric fever (typhoid), gastritis, etc., speedily recover under the fast.
The alimentary tract becomes practically free of bacteria during a fast. The small intestines become sterile.
- It renew cells, in other words, those who fast look younger than those who don’t. Amazingly, when someone looks at the face of a 40-year-old Muslim woman who reared eight children, they might think she is under 30.Obviously, this is due mainly to fasting.